Oval miniature painted with gouache on ivory, signed on the right "Linzinka de Mirbel" and dated 1842, representing the Duke of Orléans in a bust, three-quarters on the left, in black frock coat, wearing the plaque and the great cord of the Order of the Legion of Honour, in a cloudy sky background.
Preserved in a beautiful rectangular wooden frame from the early 19th century, with an oval view circled by carved gilt bronze, decorated with gilt metal star at the corners.
H. 10.5 x L. 8.5 cm (out of frame).
H. 18,2 x L. 15,5 cm (with frame).
The Pohl-Ströher Collection.
Lizinska de Mirbel first painted this model in 1837, the year Ferdinand-Philippe married Hélène de Mecklembourg-Schwerin, and exhibited it at the Salon of 1838. Several versions are known to the artist's hand, especially in response to the Prince's brutal death, to meet the demand to the request of the Royal Family's entourage. Some versions were still made in the following years.
Our miniature, of high quality, is interesting because it was made in 1842, the year of the national drama, in the sudden loss of the Royal Prince. As Ingres who was also requested for some versions of his famous portrait or Pradier for his iconic medallion, but with a much wider audience. However, Mirbel's Lizinka replicas are more limited, given the higher cost of these works made by the artist himself.
- Musée Condé de Chantilly, with the particularity that the portrait is refocused on the face and bare shoulders, for more intimate use, especially that this miniature is accompanied by a medallion with braided hair, probably made for the Duke of Aumale (repr. "Les miniatures du Musée Condé àChantilly. Portrait des maisons Royales et impériales de France et d’Europe », éd. Somogy, 2007).
- Christie's London Auction, October 17, 1995, lot 107 (signed and dated 1837).
- Auction Delorme & Collin du Bocage, 03 February 2011, lot 159 (signed and dated 1843), sold for € 11,153 (world record for the artist).
- Guizot collection, currently not located (dated 1845).
- Musée Calvet in Avignon, donated by the artist to the Museum (dated 1844).
- Auction « Une collection pour l’Histoire », Sotheby’s Paris, 29/30 September 2015, lot 57 (signed and dated 1837), probably the very first version exhibited at the 1838 Salon.