Pair of royal mahogany consoles delivered for King Louis-Philippe at the Château de Neuilly
€ 12000
Pair of royal mahogany consoles delivered for King Louis-Philippe at the Château de Neuilly
By François Honoré Georges JACOB-DESMALTER, Paris, 1813-1825.
€ 12000
Object N° 2490

Stamp ".IACOB" used from 1813 to 1825, by François Honoré Georges Jacob-Desmalter (1770-1841).

Iron marks LP / N under royal crown and inventory numbers 18611 and 18612.

H. 98 x W. 82 x D. 40 cm.


Louis-Philippe d'Orléans, duke of Orléans then King of the French, at the château of Neuilly.


The Château de Neuilly belonged to the Marquis de Nointel in 1648, it was rebuilt in 1751 by the architect Cartaud for the Chancellor d'Argenson. After his death, the castle passed to Madame de Montesson, morganatic wife of Louis-Philippe le Gros, Duke of Orléans (1725-1785), grandfather of the future King Louis-Philippe.

In 1804, Murat, already owner of the Château de Villiers, bought the neighboring Château de Neuilly and brought them together. Murat becomes King of Naples and the castle returns to the Crown. Napoleon gave Neuilly to his sister Pauline who refuses to live there. In 1814, Louis XVIII offered the château to his nephew, the Duke of Angoulême, to turn it into a stud farm, without follow-up.

In 1817, the two castles were exchanged by Louis-Philippe, then Duke of Orléans, for the stables of Chartres which belonged to him and where, since 1801, the horses of the Crown had been housed. He enlarged the estate and built several buildings to house his many children and his sister Adelaide. Thus, each wing or pavilion was devolved to one of his children, the pavilion of Villiers was for example inhabited by his son, the Duke of Aumale. The Orléans family greatly appreciated this residence at the Portes de Paris and spent long stays there during the reign of Louis-Philippe.

On February 25, 1848, the castle was set on fire and looted by a band of rioters. The Château de Neuilly was confiscated by Napoleon III in 1852 and the park was divided into 700 lots. All that remains is the north wing built by the architect Fontaine for Murat, inhabited by Madame Adelaïde under the July Monarchy. Today it is occupied by the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Thomas de Villeneuve.